Friday, September 19, 2008

a penny for your thoughts...

Today we went to the Kennecott Copper Mine (Bingham Canyon Mine)! I have never been there before and it was an awesome sight. Bill took the older 3 when I was in the hospital after having Chase - they were excited to see "dad's work" again.The mine is 2-1/2 miles across at the top and 3/4 of a mile deep. Cameron thought it was awesome that you could stack two Sears Towers on top of each other and still not reach the top of the mine. Reagan loved the fact that the mine can be seen by the space shuttle (maybe we will push this to change his life ambitions from exterminator to astronaut!!). Wesley actually hung (note where his feet are - you could also note the no climbing sign next to him, I chose to ignore that one!) here the whole time his binoculars were on!Chase was just watching the other boys! (he poured his drink all over himself on the way to the mine - I gave him a quick peak over the edge, which got my shirt all wet and dirty - after that he got to just pretend he was looking!)

Those little trucks you see in the first picture have these kind of tires on them!!

Inside the visitors center their were a few hands on activities - Cameron and Reagan enjoyed actually looking at everything - Wesley and Chase ran around trying to find different buttons that made things light up. We went to see a 15 minute movie, but I couldn't get Chase (did I mention he was naughty today) to be quiet enough before it started so I let Cameron and Reagan stay in while we waited for them outside the door (they thought they were pretty cool - they thought the movie was pretty cool too!)


While waiting for the boys it started to sprinkle - Wesley thought he should hide by this tire for protection!


On the way home I found a field that I thought would be great for future pictures - I asked Wesley to help me test it out - he was thrilled! and wasn't acting at all cheesy! and didn't complain at all!


maybe a picture of the field by itself is a better idea! (which is right up New Bingham Hwy, before you turn to go to Kennecott, toward Copperton - I didn't see a private property sign and their wasn't a fence, but that doesn't mean some farmer won't shoot you if your on it!) Isn't Utah pretty! Just in case you are wondering...it costs $5 per vehicle to get into the mine - so pack in and have some fun (the educational kind)!

8 comments:

Alicia Cerva said...

LOVE the field! It is gorgeous - especially with the copper mine in the background! Great find! Thanks for sharing!

Carin Davis said...

your Kennecott pictures are FABULOUS...
and that is the field of my dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thank you....thank you....for finding it!!!

Annie Miller said...

Is that where we are doing our Christmas cards? I LOVE it! I haven't been to the mines for years. Guess it's time for a visit. Great pics!

Annie Miller said...

Have you been reading "Walden Pond?" Are you simplifying your life? You changed your layout again. I really like it.

Jody said...

Love the pictures once again! You are making me feel guilty though...again, this is on my list of things to do with Braxton...we just haven't made it yet. Off-track time can't get here fast enough...five more days (but who is counting?)!

Connie Miller said...

I love the copper mine pictures -- your boys love to learn. The field and your pictures are beautiful.

Rachel said...

That's an awesome field. And an awesome trip to the mine. We'll have to take a field trip there sometime. You keep making me want to get out more with my girls with your fun trip reports!

{Le Petit Poulet} said...

I LOVE these pictures. The field pictures are amazing and I laughed right out loud at the "maybe the field by itself is a better idea". I'm through with lurking! I hope you don't mind if I link you :)