Tuesday, June 17, 2008

my kind of date...

Cameron and I were able to go out and have a little mommy and me time tonight!
What was the special occasion you ask? Well, it had a little something to do with that nail (which I didn't see, but am sure it was a 30 year old rusty nail) that went through his flip flops (again, not jungle adventure shoes) and into his foot (which caused a few days of some very over exaggerated limping) and became red and swollen!
While he was at swim practice yesterday, I decided to call his pediatrician to make sure that he had a tetanus shot before he started kindergarten. They confirmed that he did, BUT also informed me that a tetanus for an injury only lasts 5 years - it had been 5 years and 6 months since his last one - bummer! That was especially bad news for Cameron because (a) he is afraid of the flu shot (and we all know tetanus is worse) and (b) Bill told him all about the pain of a tetanus shot, right after his injury. In fact, I think he said a little something like, "They take the biggest needle and push it in until is hits your bone, it hurts SO bad!"We went to the doctor and (remembering Bill's words of wisdom) Cameron kept questioning me and the nurse about the shot, the size, the pain, the band aid, etc. Let me just mention how awesome this nurse was. She started out doing a little teasing herself - and then when she saw me pull my camera out (and inform her that I was going to post him crying like a baby) she was totally on my side.
Oh - this little thing? she says, it won't hurt as bad as the nail did. But that really hurt, Cameron whines. After some good fun, she did get serious and tell him that it was important and would keep him from getting the tetanus disease. He went on to question her on the percentage of prevention - after he heard a 100% he was willing to cooperate.So, she got him, and knowing that the camera was pointed at his face (and that I would totally post him crying) he put on a nervous smile and took it like a man! Just in case you couldn't see it good enough, I will zoom in...

ouch - that's gotta hurt! Well, I think tonight was way more fun than that movie Bill took him to last week - I got such a laugh out of it!

post signature

7 comments:

Annemarie said...

Way to go tough guy Cameron!! My 10 year olds are so much more afraid of shots than their younger siblings. I'm sooooo taking a camera next time!

peewee said...

ewwwww! That made my thigh hurt just LOOKING at it. Thank GOD we don't need those. right? RIGHT?

carin davis said...

I have a head ache...and it is 11:11 p.m. but I had to check the blog to get the Cameron shot report!!!

I am glad you had fun together...even though there was a shot was involved!!!!!

Saralin said...

Way to take it like a man! Taking your camera was a good idea. What 10 year old boy is going to let his fear show up on film?

Connie Miller said...

Cameron's awesome! He asks all the right questions. He's got bragging rights now.

Renee said...

Wooowwsers! That looked like it hurt! What a brave boy you got there... How fun to have a date with your kiddo! :)

Kim said...

You are the meanest mom ever!! I can't believe you!! You call me a dork for taking my daughters picture when she gave the scripture at church!! HYPOCRITE! (hope I spelled that right- don't want my insults to be misspelled!)