About a month ago Wesley started having spelling tests.
His teacher let me know that the purpose was to practice for 1st grade and to help them recognize all of their sight words AND that the tests wouldn't be part of their report card. I wanted to use these tests to help him build confidence, so we have worked really hard!
He sailed through the sight words and did awesome with all the colors (thanks to the color songs) and then we got to the numbers.
This week he needed to learn the numbers 5,6,7,8,9,10 and 0!
He couldn't get it!
We tried making up songs, chants, stretching the words - it just wasn't' sticking!
Before he went into class yesterday, I warned the teacher that he might get 6 right - as in the number, not that many! I also warned her that when he stretched it he usually spelled s-e-x instead!
When I picked him up I asked him how he did. He looked a little disappointed and handed me his paper...
I almost fainted!
"You remembered them?" I asked.
His (classic Wesley) response, "I couldn't find zero on the wall."!
(thank goodness for a teacher who leaves the answers on the wall and for a boy who is clever enough to look!)
His teacher let me know that the purpose was to practice for 1st grade and to help them recognize all of their sight words AND that the tests wouldn't be part of their report card. I wanted to use these tests to help him build confidence, so we have worked really hard!
He sailed through the sight words and did awesome with all the colors (thanks to the color songs) and then we got to the numbers.
This week he needed to learn the numbers 5,6,7,8,9,10 and 0!
He couldn't get it!
We tried making up songs, chants, stretching the words - it just wasn't' sticking!
Before he went into class yesterday, I warned the teacher that he might get 6 right - as in the number, not that many! I also warned her that when he stretched it he usually spelled s-e-x instead!
When I picked him up I asked him how he did. He looked a little disappointed and handed me his paper...
I almost fainted!"You remembered them?" I asked.
His (classic Wesley) response, "I couldn't find zero on the wall."!
(thank goodness for a teacher who leaves the answers on the wall and for a boy who is clever enough to look!)





18 comments:
that's street smarts right there.
Are the sight words on the wall as well?
booksmart is overrated...CLEVER IS SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!
Okay so he and Aidan are SO the same kid! How funny! But his handwriting is really good!
Classic. Kindergarten teachers really should write books. Between our two boys they have a TON of material!
Clever kid! That is something I can totally see my Wesley doing when he is older!
hahahaha.....I am still laughing! hahahahaha!!!!
oooo nice lol way to go wesley~!
hey dede... are you printing these posts out and binding them into books for your kids to have later? these are such great memories for them to keep and share with their kids for sure...
he saw the writing on the wall, as it were.
Great job Wesley! He'll be spelling Mississippi before you know it.
I totally agree with Carin and so does Uncle Mike!
Wesley is always good for a laugh!
I'm with April.... hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
hahahahahahaha He is the BEST!!!! This is one of the many reasons why I live him :)
do you blog anymore? What r u doing this weekend?!?
okay. you don't have to WRITE anything. how bout just one little pic? uno. une. teensy.
your A/C is broken!?!?!?! How are you surviving? When will it be fixed?? I'm stressing out for you...guess it's a sign that you should come here!
Kids are much smarter than you think!
Post a Comment