Friday, May 29, 2009

o brother, where art thou?

Yesterday a group of friends and I took our kids to the park.
The purpose? to have lunch and have the kids run around in the sun long enough to be sufficiently warn out.
The problem? they wouldn't stay out of the (shaded) bushes and trees.
At first it was just the older boys - I was constantly calling for Cameron and telling him to get to a place where I could see him but eventually ALL the kids made their way to the hideouts filled with booby-traps, passwords and secret handshakes. I said all kids participated in the fort hopping, but those who know Chase KNOW that there is no way he would go into prickly surroundings - that is where my friend Emily's boys come in handy. I don't know (and she won't tell me - believe me, I have asked) how she gets her "big" boys to like (and dote over) little kids. They will do what ever Chase asks them to - and it isn't as if they don't have their friends there to play with. If they see a toddler running away, they will stop everything to go retrieve him - WITHOUT BEING ASKED! How do you teach that? My boys don't only NOT notice, they would whine if I asked them to leave their friends side for a moment to save their brothers life. My plan, as of now, is to force her boys to play with mine, with the hope that some of their goodness will rub off onto my little guys dirty hands!

8 comments:

peewee said...

wow. when it rains it pours! You are making up lost time rather well!!

Carin Davis said...

seriously...I about fell off this chair when you popped up in google reader!!!!!!! :)

will Emily teach a parenting class???

Kristi Veale said...

Your boys are so cute!

Saralin said...

I played hide out in the bushes when I was a kid. Love the pictures.

Anonymous said...

They weren't kidding when they said it takes a village to raise a child! Especially if the village is populated with excellent role models in the form of older boys!

rychelle said...

i love all the GREEN. we don't have that in the desert :(

Bobette said...

LOVE your collage! Glad you found your camera! I'm just sorry I wasn't able to capture you on the swings. Seriously, you are the coolest! Thanks for having boys so you can teach me what I'm supposed to do with mine!

Connie Miller said...

It's great to have "big" brothers watching. Love the pictures. In my day, we roamed all over - now worries, just get home before mealtime.