Wednesday, May 27, 2009

a day to remember...

I know
I know
I haven't blogged since the 15th!
But, I have a good reason...I have either been busy or lazy!
I am going to try and play catch up this week, starting with...Memorial Day
We started our Memorial Day with a yummy dutch oven breakfast, compliments of our friends. We had originally planned on camping over the weekend, but ended up "camping" at home - which turned out to be a blast!
In the afternoon we went to the Veterans Memorial Park and attended a ceremony allowing us to reflect on and honor America's fallen hero's, including our friend James.It was a beautiful day filled with patriotism.
One of my favorite parts was a National Guard bugler playing Taps. They also had a very touching, soldier roll call and fallen soldiers' memorial followed by a moment of silence that ended with an Apache helicopter fly over. The highlight for us was being able to see the unveiled memorial dedicated to
James and his friend Clay. It is a beautiful memorial with so many details, including their names being engraved under the window of their seats on the Apache.
(unfortunately, I lost my real camera and had to bring my point and shoot, which didn't capture enough detail - I have since found my camera - and learned to never ask my kids to put away some dirty clothes and put my camera on my desk at the same time - at least they sorted it correctly with the darks!)We ended the night with a bbq at our house.
Our day was filled with great friends and fond memories and a few peanut m&m's
- just perfect!

12 comments:

Carin said...

Beautiful...and perfect...just as you said~

p.s. I am glad you are back!

rychelle said...

What a great way to spend an important day, reflecting on the true purpose of it.

(what kind of camera do you usually shoot with?)

Annie Miller said...

So glad you found your camera. I lose everything. It is so frustrating. My mom said they did a really nice program. She really liked it and had fun seeing you! Great pics as always!

Bee said...

Oh, dede. I just looked at the pictures of James' family and my heart broke. They must miss him terribly. War sucks!

What a beautiful day to memorialize him and others like him. You take pretty pictures even with a "point and shoot."

And I'm impressed with your children's ability to sort laundry!

Jodi said...

Great pictures. Thanks for a great weekend. Also thanks for the book how much do I owe you?

peewee said...

MY peanut M&M's???

dede said...

rychelle my regular camera is a canon rebel and peewee your peanut m&m's are LONG gone!!!

Bob Miller said...

I missed your blog Sis....

Saralin said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. Beautiful pictures (even with a point and shoot).

Kim said...

It was a great day! I enjoyed remembering friends and being with friends!

Connie Miller said...

Great experience for you and all. Thanks for sharing in thought and pictures. Glad you had a great (busy) weekend. Look forward to more!!!

kat said...

dede...
that was a nice ceremony at the park, wasnt it... nice to remember the true meaning of memorial day and friends that we are missing... your pics are beautiful and the bbq was the prefect way to end the day... you have so many people who consider theirselves glad to be your friends, me included =)