Cameron brought home a paper (a 5th grade paper) of "one hundred history questions that ALL americans should know" which has me wondering...am I american? From the look of the questions and the stuff stored in my brain, I figure that I am about 10% american - I wonder what the other 90% is? hmm. I realize history isn't really my thing (unless it is brought to pass in a juicy novel) but, I guess it is time to be educated! So, how american are you??
do you know...
1. Who is the Father of the United States Navy?
2. Name the first permanent English settlement in America.
3. Which Spaniard explored much of the Southwestern part of America, discovering the Grand Canyon of the Colorado (their are 2 grand canyons - how do I not know this??)?
4. When was slavery introduced to America?
5. Who won the French and Indian War?
6. Who was the President of the Constitutional Convention?
7. Who invented the Reaper (I am assuming they don't mean grim)?
8. Which American President also served on the Supreme Court (annie - this ones for you!)?
9. Name the great seaway opened in 1959 which linked the Midwest to the Atlantic Ocean?
10. What did the Whiskey Rebellion prove (really? I am thinkin' it proved people like to drink, but that is probably not what they are looking for)?
OK - show me what your made of - and no need to boast your answers - like I said, history isn't my thing - if it was "a 100 things a mom of a 2 year old boy should know" I would possibly get to do a little (tactful) boasting - but their were many questions that I couldn't even type because I knew I should know the answer, but sadly don't - I need to watch "jay walking" more often - I am the one not laughing at the fools on the show, I am taking notes!
bonne journee!
Thursday, August 28, 2008
100 things all Americans should know (part uno)...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





9 comments:
Holy crap. All I can say is that I will keep my eyes on your comments so when TWO of these papers come into my house in a few weeks I can be prepared. My kids and husband will think I am a genius when I spout out all of the answers...
I can't even answer ONE. But Annie Gray!~I am SHOCKED...thought you'd know them ALL! If you don't know them what hope is there for the rest of us?!?!?!?
I'll bet Dad will know most of them.
9. Panama Canal
3. I thought of Cortez?
2. Jamestown, VA
1. I'll know this when I hear it.
Looks like the class will be on google!!!!
Thanks Dede!! I need to wake up this morning and feel more inadequate than when I went to bed last night!
Dede you dont need to know the answers...you've got google. kind of like you didnt know all the answers to the movie quiz game.
All I can say is that is what google is for. That what Anna did last year!!!
Is it cheating for me to answer?? I hope not, because here I go:
1. John Paul Jones
2. Jamestown
3. Garcia Lopez de Cardenas
4. 1619-slaves were sold to settlers in Jamestown by British (if I am remembering correctly)
5. British
6. George Washington
7. Cyrus Hall McCormick
8. Taft
9. St. Lawrence Seaway
10. Loyalty to America
Hopefully I am remembering these correctly...how embarrassing if not! Man, I am such a nerd! :)
nice guessing ladies - Jody (after I have googled the questions for the last hour to confirm the answers) gets a 100%! and just so you all know, she is not a "nerd" but a very well educated TEACHER! (wish you were Cameron's!!) annie - you got about 50% (which is still a "F", BUT, don't beat yourself up - it is still about 50% more than the rest of us knew) good job!
Well, Brett and I took this test verbally with each other and may I say that we got zero!!! hahahaha. but then I'm Canadian so I have an excuse. But what's Brett's excuse and he was even born on the 4th of July can you be any more American than that???
Post a Comment