Today was Wesley's first day of kindergarten! I have been nervous for him for weeks (maybe months). This morning I woke him up and he was so excited (not the anticipated - scared), he ate breakfast (usually he likes a 10:30 brunch consisting of carrots and dip), he happily brushed his teeth (didn't even complain when I helped), he let me pick out his clothes (with the promise that he could change the minute he got home) and we were off! Without a hitch. He rode his scooter to school (well ahead of me, who was still wondering when he was going to have his meltdown). When I caught up to him he was putting his scooter in the bike cage (just like all the other bigger kids). He stood in line (smiling for the camera). His teacher came out and told the kids to give their parents a wave and blow them a kiss (which he so courageously did). Then he turned around and walked into class with all the other cute little kids (WHAT???). I was so proud of him BUT what happened to my little mamas boy - the kid that always wants to be with me - the little turd who made me walk into preschool with him (every time) and hang up his backpack - the one who gets so upset if I go to Walmart without him?Well, overnight, he grew up! I am so proud (and a little sad). He is convinced, now that he is 5, that he can do anything. I would have told him he was 5 a long time ago if I knew it would have this kind of impact.
Chase and I walked home (my mind reeling of ways to keep him a baby), we went to Walmart (even checked out the baby isles) and then went to pick Wesley up - anxiously awaiting the reports of his first day (well, I was anxious, Chase was asleep - a little too much one on one!) He loved it and can't wait to go back again tomorrow!
Just to rub in how grown up he is - tonight he decided he needed to learn how to ride his bike without training wheels - what will tomorrow bring??







9 comments:
kindergarten and a two wheeler in one day!!!!! i am so happy for him!!
i still walk by the baby isles...isn't there anything i need? i am supposed to need something in these isles...nope. it is sad!
who is having a baby that we can shop for!?!?
What a big day! Congrats Wesley and growing up. Congrats Dede on almost getting the house to yourself--at least for part of the day :) Cute pages--again!
What a great day for him! That's pretty exciting. I'm feeling all proud of him and I'm not even the mom.
Do you think someone could come up with some magic formula that keeps them little forever? *sigh*
Wow - there's no stopping him now. Kindergarten was always a bitter/sweet moment for me.
That smile says it all. When did we ever last smile LIKE THAT?!?! There is NOTHING, I mean NOTHING better than that first day of Kindergarten. DOn't expect that face on the first year of high school! It goes downhill from here :) Good thing you captured it on film!
I agree with your mom, kindergarten is bittersweet. It's exciting to see them gain independence, but so sad to see them not need you like that. Ugh... W. starts 1st grade at the end of the month & I have a huge pit in my stomach, that is such a long time to have him gone. I gotta be the one to put on my brave face!
I love that sweet smile on his face when he's riding his bike on his own!
So cool Wesley!!! Mckayla was so excited to learn about his first day. Mckay starts next week, and is looking forward to it.
I'm about to experience this next month-exciting but sad!!!!!!
Can you believe how fast they grow up? It kindof hurt my feelings when Aidan said his first day of first grade "mom, I have to GO!" Then he was off to his classroom, never looking back. Aidan looked at your blog with me and was very excited that Wesley can now ride without training wheels!
Post a Comment