Sunday, July 12, 2009

lavender blue?

dilly dilly...
On Friday night Carin and I took our families to Mona, Ut. to see the lavender fields -
and it was worth the drive!
When we arrived we walked around Young Living Farms, taking pictures and letting the kids explore. Everything is so pretty there!Then we went across the street to see the lavender - it is gorgeous! There were rows and rows of the stuff - it smelt wonderful!Apparently you have to be initiated in order to truly experience the beauty that is lavender.
Initiated by mosquitoes!!!
I ended up with as many mosquito bites as I did pictures - and I take a lot of pictures!!
While many of us that were there got attacked, for some reason I stood out! Mosquitoes have always liked me, I figured it was because I was sweet, but thought I should do some research just to be sure. In my studies I came across some UNRELIABLE theories...something about larger people, blah blah blah, 85% hereditary (thanks dad), blah blah blah, smelly breath (apparently, carbon dioxide from your heavy breathing -which of course you will be breathing heavy if you are "larger" and just walked all the way across the street- draws them closer), blah blah blah, (so does the lactic acid pouring from your sweat glands)...
I stopped there - what does medicinenet.com know anyway!One thing I did find interesting (and believable) was that the female
requires one blood meal for each batch of eggs...
one batch = 200 eggs
70 bites x 200 eggs =
I just birthed 14,000 baby mosquitoes (larva, if you will) and
mosquitoes are responsible for more human death than any other living creature
sorry!I try to look at it as, once again, a sacrifice for my children!
*update - I just realized, that the odds are, I'd probably have all boy mosquitoes and they don't bite - only the female (more dominant) ones do! So, I am not nearly as sorry as I was last night!*
~to see Carin's lavender pictures click here~

17 comments:

Bee said...

You are so funny! The pictures are, as usual, wonderful. I don't think lavender will grow like that around here.

Hope your bites are healing!

Carin Davis said...

Oh!!! It was worth it!!!! Look at your gorgeous pictures!!!!!! We are still itchy here!!! Did you google how to fix that????

We had so much fun.....Thanks for always being up for an adventure!!! Next time we'll bring bug spray!!! Love you!

Kristi Veale said...

Your pictures are so nice. After I saw Carin post on the fields it made me want to go. I don't know how long they are in full bloom like that but I'm going to check in a couple weeks and in between soccer tournaments. Great pictures!!

Connie Miller said...

Love ALL these pictures - love the quiet one of all 4 boys with Cameron and Chase close together. Love the family one too -- and oh the one with Chase running down the path -- and the birds! and the incredible lavendar. Sorry for all your bites - - hope you don't get any diseases!

Kristina P. said...

How is your entire family so freaking talented! These are gorgeous!

Annemarie said...

I LOVE your hair!

Annie Miller said...

Dede! You look awesome!!! I haven't seen a pic of you for a while. LOVE your bangs! I think you are very brave. I don't think I would have made it through those mosquitos to get those gorgeous pictures. I know they say "no pain, no gain," but I would have definately wussed our big time!

rychelle said...

i LOVE these pictures!

and now i know why mosquitoes are drawn to me. thanks. ;)

Rachel said...

Makes me want to go there! How pretty- I'll be sure to bring insect repellent though. You look really pretty in your family picture!

robin said...

I don't know what is worse... enduring mosquito bites or going to Target with 5 kids and then watching a Scooby-Doo movie marathon for movie night... you decide (probably mosquito bites but I think my night is a close 2nd). Your pics are awesome... I love the bird nest!!

Kaylynn said...

Beautiful pictures! I can't believed you got so many mosquito bites--yikes. I take claritin--it seems to stop the itching.

Bob Miller said...

Terrific photos D. Sorry about the genitics (Mosquitos love me toto)

peewee said...

Uh, I got attacked at THE CABIN last week. They're STILL there on my skin. I feel like a hick.

Anyway, when I was first living in Upstate NY I would get bites ALL THE TIME and I was complaining one day and this creepy old man goes "that's cuz you have SWEET MEAT. Mosquitoes like sweet meat"
EWWWWWWWWW!!!! I'd RATHER he told me it was because I was fat and smelly.

{Le Petit Poulet} said...

So gorgeous! I wish we could have come....it looks like it was well worth the drive!! You look gorgeous in the family picture :)

Missy said...

OMG! How beautiful! These pics are super! Love them!

Jillyan said...

Your pictures are amazing! We had some friends get their family pictures taken there a couple of years ago and I've always wanted to go. It looks like it is so worth it!

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS PICTURES!! I LOVE YOUR CUTE BANGS!! :)