Tuesday, October 13, 2009

the {pumpkins} of our labor...

With fall upon us, we decided it was time to harvest our PUMPKINS!! Photobucket
The kids have been arguing for the last month about who gets the BIG pumpkin (nonstop arguing, as if the special pumpkin would be like a pet or a favorite toy and not just some big orange thing that is going to sit on the porch for the next month!) Photobucket
The arguing decreased some, when I said "whoever can carry it, can have it!" Photobucket
I love how the older brother in this scenario looks as if he is not only NOT helping, but adding to the weight - by the strain on the face of the younger brother, I think I have made my decision about who the pumpkin belongs to!! Photobucket
They were able to hold it long enough to get one picture! (it is REALLY heavy)
So we called for reinforcements - and when HE wouldn't come, we grabbed the wagon! Photobucket
Now, the claimed pumpkins are resting happily on the porch! Photobucket
(to whom it may concern...please take note of the intentional absence of one of the so called "favorite" children)

14 comments:

Annie Miller said...

Those are ginormous! Great harvest. We grew one years ago that we needed a dolly to move...I'm impressed you boys could move that big one. Those weigh a ton!

Kaylynn said...

Those are great pumpkins. We got two small ones, but are hoping for bigger and better next year!

Kristina P. said...

You grow your own pumpkins? You are amazing!

Carin Davis said...

You were blessed with Grandpa Gray's green thumb! That is a great load of pumpkins!!!! I bet they were the boys favorite thing out of the garden all year!!!

Anonymous said...

Next year, as soon as one of our pumpkins starts to grow, we are going to put it in an old fish tank to see if it will grow square! They do this in Japan with watermelons so they will stack easier at the produce market, believe it or not. I saw that and thought, why not pumpkins?! Can you imagine? I can't wait! And I vote for Wesley, too. He's got the pumpkin grin, after all!

Missy said...

I love pumpkins! The boys are cute too! LOL

peewee said...

Those are awesome. You gonna make pies?

Mandy said...

I never said favorites are bad:) He is just so dang cute! And with you more than the other boys, I'm sure!

novidiac said...

What great pumpkins!!

So much cooler when you've grown your own! Wesley looks super pleased to be doing all the work, cutting, lifting and hauling... even in his bare feet... He wins hands down!

A "cheery" disposition said...

cute pictures... and what HUGE pumpkins

Rachel said...

You've got some monster pumpkins! Makes our tiny ones look wimpy :)

robin said...

okay... this brings a tear to my eye... not only am I having Dede withdrawals but I'm also missing out on seeing all the fruits of your labors first hand!!! :(

Whose idea was it to move???? oh right... my absent better half.

Saralin said...

I'm going to start calling Wesley Charlie Brown because that is one great pumpkin!

Cristi said...

So fun! You are so funny. Love your blog.