Monday, January 26, 2009

no two flakes are the same...

While I was on the corner, having my morning chat with my girlfriends, one of the more observant girls (read as...the one not listening to my story) noticed some beautiful little snowflakes on the other gals jacket (no, not dandruff). There were REAL snowflakes falling from the sky!! I realize have lived in Utah for the last 16 plus years BUT this is the first time I have ever seen pretty snow. So, here is my glove - you want a closer look, huh? Isn't it amazing?? Suzy, you could just move here and you wouldn' t have to make these anymore!! When I got home, in all of my excitement, I asked Bill if he had ever seen these magical crystals!?!? He (in his 37 years living here) had never seen them either (although, he is terribly unobservant - he would probably need it to fall on his x-box or something to notice). Aren't they cute? I tried to get Chase to pose outside until one fell on him - can you imagine...a cute snowflake on a cute baby?? too much! -
he wouldn't cooperate!

As I was running around looking for something dark, something solid, something that would make an awesome background - this was the first thing that came to mind...my name is Dede, I have a diet soda problem!

30 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Wow, that really is pretty snow!

I'm too busy cursing the sky to notice.

JulyG319 said...

Wow, those are some really cool snowflakes!!! I wish we had some like that. Of course it is snowing today and I haven't really looked at the snow except to shovel it off my driveway before taking the kids to school.

Oh and don't worry about your diet soda problem, I have the exact same one. Steve and I are Coke Zero addicts!

rychelle said...

that is seriously amazing!

i don't think i've ever seen a real snowflake that looked like a paper-cut-version of a real snowflake.

i wish you could send me one in the mail. ;)

Saralin said...

I was paying attention to your story! I was just paying more attention to the pretty flakes falling from the sky. Your pictures turned out great.

The Kleins said...

Nice pictures. Thanks for reminding us to pay attention to the little things.

Carin Davis said...

SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!
I LOVE the way you captured them!!! Yea Sara!!!!

Kaylynn said...

Love the pictures. Have you ever heard of Snowflake Bently. He took pictures of snowflakes that were under a microscope. They are beautiful!

Connie Miller said...

I've never seen snowflakes like these. It makes me have to take back all my evil thoughts about snow - snow - snow this morning.

Jason, Tiff and the Kids said...

I have a black winter jacket and love watching the different snow flakes. It's magical. However, I noticed the beauty of real snowflakes my first winter here. Better late than never.

Jillyan said...

SO WEIRD!!! I just ran something to Rob at work and we were talking (me sitting in the warm car, him outside in the snow) and a couple of flakes landed on my dark car interior. I looked more closely and notice that it was a perfect little snowflake!!! Rob and I were talking about how we had never seen a snowflake like that before. Crazy!!!

novidiac said...

You ALMOST made me wish it was snowing again this afternoon so I could examine some fresh flakes.... but I'll just enjoy yours and be glad it isn't snowing again!

April said...

I gasped they were so pretty and then I spewed my water on the screen at your last line!!! You are a crack up!!!

Melissa said...

Beautiful pictures....as always. Those pictures you took are remarkable! VERY nice!!

And seriously now....let's talk Coke Zero. YUM! My FAVORITE!! Yet another number on my ever-growing list of reasons why I love Dede!

Emily Horne said...

That is so beautiful! I was starting to believe those kind of snowflakes were made from paper, or animation! I may be one of the only ones who truly appreciates the coke Zero. I knew we were friends!

Jenn said...

those are awesome pictures!!

Tammy Taylor said...

Great pictures, beautiful snowflakes - ALMOST makes me wish I lived up there. Nah, my kids are playing out front in t-shirts right now!

peewee said...

OH MY GOSH! They look fake!! I have never ever seen flakes like that. Are you SURE your mittens didn't just COME embroidered?

Anonymous said...

U.N.B.E.L.I.E.V.A.B.L.E.

I'm seriously studying the close-ups on those babies and I'm going to try and replicate them just for you, although I'll always think of my lame paper ones as sub-par from now on.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

No, no, no, my friend. You don't have a diet soda problem. Instead, you are just capturing two of your most favorite items together. I would describe this more as art.

-Francesca

robin said...

absolutely beautiful snowflakes. I love capturing the beauty of nature. and kudos to Sara for her honesty. She didn't have to admit that she was the friend who wasn't listening. hahahahha

robin said...

absolutely beautiful snowflakes. I love capturing the beauty of nature. and kudos to Sara for her honesty. She didn't have to admit that she was the friend who wasn't listening. hahahahha

Renee said...

That is amazing...at first I thought you photoshopped them onto your glove! LOL...that is awesome & I can't believe I haven't seen that in all my 10 years of living here! But, now I'll be on the lookout!

How was your Birthday????

Mickelle Marston Wyatt said...

Dede -
Those are great pictures! I think when you live amongst the snow, you forget to look at the beauty of it ... now you have made me excited for it to snow again!

Mickelle (Carin's workshop)

Kim said...

Those are wonderful. I thought it was so neat I called Britton in from eating his after school snack to see them. He informed me yeah mom thats what a snowflake looks like. (Don't interupt a teen when eating:))

Annie Miller said...

Those were GREAT pictures. What a clever idea. Those snowflakes were so cute...and I loved your background. My name is Annie and I have a diet soda problem too. Sorry I am so late on posting...I missed this on one my sidebar and only saw it on Google reader.

Cristi said...

how can people think there isn't a God when they see snow flakes like that?

kat said...

awesome pics dede~! i was trying to get some on sunday, but my battery for my camera died, so i only got one pic of jr trying to catch one of those ginormous flakes in his mouth... sara called me monday to tell me it was snowing again but i didnt get the msg till too late, so i was happy to see your pics and know that i could count on you to be prepared and creative~! thanks for the smiles you give me every time you post~!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dede, I'm commenting. Did I mention I LOVE your snowflake pictures??

Zac and Catherine Griffith Fam said...

THese are awesome! YOu are such a good photographer! You do not have a diet soda problem, you have an appreciation for the finer things in life. ( So do I!)

{Le Petit Poulet} said...

Are those really real? (yes, I just used the same word twice in a different way). I just can't believe that those are real flakes...I can't wrap my head around it!!