Monday, February 2, 2009

and we are done...

I don't know if you know that I am famous around these parts (which means inside my house and possibly with my immediate family).
What am I famous for, you ask?
I will tell you it isn't for a spotless house and well behaved kids,
it's for potty training.
Thanks to a certain sis-in-law I was tricked, forced, guilted, invited to potty train Reagan (now 8) on tv - no pressure. Here is how it went...
*video isn't showing on google reader - you will have to actually go to my blog - it is worth it*

(the video quality is a little bad because I had to record in with my camera while it was playing on my computer in order to get it on here -and I keep pulling on my shirt because I was pregnant with Wesley and apparently I didn't want anyone to know - annoying, I know!)
Last week we were at it again - on Tuesday Chase got to wear big boy underwear!!
He was not happy.
He wanted nothing to do with it.
He said, "this experiment is not good".
He cried.
He drank lots and lots.
He did it!!!I am no expert, but I would be happy to share what works for me...
Dede's potty training tips:
*have your house clean, your calendar empty and your caffeine handy
* take them to the store for a special potty training trip the night before (buy underwear, juice, etc)
*never let them see you sweat (it is not fun, stay happy and loving - don't get mad)
*every kid is different - adjust (Wesley was potty trained naked because he had no problem peeing in underwear, Cameron was working for a certain prize, etc.) * play, play, play - get rid of the other kids if you can and devote your day to him! We played, read, colored, etc. - NO MOVIES (they can become distracting), after a success we would sometimes watch a short program together (like potty power or elmo goes potty)
* let everyone help (I am pretty sure he watched everyone in the house pee on tues.) Wesley was so excited and wanted to read to him (feel free to kick "helping" siblings out and lock the door if losing focus)* have a reward (we don't always keep candy hearts on top of the toilet, but even the older boys think they deserve one when they go potty now!)
* push the liquids
* have them clean up their own messes
* one thing I did with Chase that I didn't do with the other boys was watch "potty shows" to get him use to the idea before hand (he was afraid to sit on the toilet, fully dressed, with the seat down)!
* even though it only takes a day (or so) to get the concept, plan on staying home and watching them like a hawk all week (it takes awhile for them to tell you when they have to go!)
* it isn't always better having them potty trained - sometimes it is harder - if you are planning on going on a trip you might want to wait - find a good time for both of you!
* wait for signs to start (telling you when they go in their diaper, staying somewhat dry at night, etc.) I have started all of my kids at 2 1/2 (my personal theory is if you wait to long, they can out smart you!!).
* know that it is worth the work, not only because you can put them in the playland at Ikea, but because there is nothing cuter than a toddler running around in his undies!!I am not trying to brag (although, I am totally celebrating) and I know I owe a lot of my success to my 4 boys, but these are the things that work for me and if it can help you out a little, I would be thrilled!
...and NO, I will not potty train your kid - I will however, sign autographs!

22 comments:

Kaylynn said...

I want your autograph!

Jillyan said...

Thanks for the tips! I don't know why but I am completely dreading the potty training stage. We already bought Wesley his potty and keep talking about going in the big boy potty, but I am so nervous to actually start. I'm not a very patient person. I will definitely try your tactics.

Bobette said...

I feel so special that I have a famous friend! I forgot about your long hair! I love your new style though. You helped me out a lot with Aidan and the potty training! Glad that is over with!

Annie Miller said...

Yay Chase! I had forgotten how LITTLE Reagan was in that video. That was a LONG day but you were so dedicated. I think you should start a business, and if not, you need to at least be available for hire to you sister in law!

Anonymous said...

why am I tearing up from that video!!! i loved his cute voice! he is still as adorable as ever...but you forget how little they once were.

i am so proud of Chase! it is amazing, for as nervous as he was going into it- that he hasn't had one accident! yea Chase!!!!!

how is that you are the potty training queen...and their are nothing but potty training problems at my house!?

peewee said...

WHY am I just hearing about this fame? WHY? I can NOT believe you were on the news and EVERYTHING! U think Reagan's gonna kill you when he's older?

rychelle said...

I'm sure this info is going to come in handy someday (I hope).

Those Paul frank undies are too cute!

Jimmy&Michelle said...

Congrats! I remember feeling so excited when Sydney was trained, and I knew I was done. And where did you get that awesome book-shelf on the wall--or did you make it?? I need that!

The Kleins said...

That was awesome. Thanks for sharing and congratulations on having no kids in diapers!

Saralin said...

Way to go Chase, Dede and Reagan!!!

novidiac said...

Wow! I read about potty training in a day and figured I couldn't lose anything with two to do at once, so gave it a try with Miles and Mackenzie. I would never do it any other way now! I have done 3 little boys since this way now!
I never would have been brave enough to train and be on TV though!

I agree it totally helps to not have anyone else as distractions and to start off with a clean house and schedule! I can remember scheduling the potty training with a day out with Daddy for everyone else!

Jenn said...

I had no idea you are famous!! I wish I knew all your secrets when I was in the business of potty training!!!

Alicia Cerva said...

I sure don't miss those days, but Congratulations! You should earn the Mother of the Year Award! I love all of the pictures! They are great! Way to go!

Connie Miller said...

Oh my gosh -- it's so hard to remember Reagan at 2. Chase did so great. You both deserve big praises -- and at least ice cream or something!

robin said...

Yeah!!!! congrats to you and Chase! no more diapers. what are you going to do with all that extra money?? hmmm....

3 Bay B Chicks said...

This is my most favorite post from you to date. Hilariously funny pictures...with Paul Frank underwears to boot. The fact that you managed to catch this gem of a moment on film is even better.

My boy is three and still not potty-trained. I will be printing and posting Dede's Toliet Training Secrets (aka this post) on our bathroom wall. My husband thanks you! :)

-Francesca

PS: I am not sure why you are not losing weight by eating M&Ms. Are you sure that you are eating the right kind?

Lisel said...

I actually watched you on TV back then because your mom told me about it and I was about to potty train my oldest. Now I have done 3 boys and I totally agree with all your tips and tricks. What I still need to know though, is how you keep the bathroom clean with potty trained boys?? My bathroom can get absolutely scary and I have cleaned up pee in places I would never have imagined! I am also coveting your bookcase...

Unknown said...

HOLY MOLY! I WANT YOUR AUTOGRAPH TOO!! I have a whole twin sob story regarding potty training!! LOL They feed off each otherand NOT in a good way, at least regarding the potty! I think my 22month old will be potty trained BEFORE the older boys!! They are so different in what motivates them...sigh...maybe i could send one to grandma's for the day like you suggested! They are pretty much trained, but not 100%
Oh and Dede you are like a NEWS Star mama...i think I saw you and Cameron on the news when he was tiny regarding him being a runner and you put some kind of watch device that tracked him or beeped??? does that sound familiar? YOU supa-sta * hee hee LOVE IT!!
Love this blog..i am so motivated now...

Anonymous said...

I think you should do a giveaway for your autograph, because once this gets out, it will be worth MILLIONS!!!! YOU SO ROCK!

Cristi said...

how do you get them to poop? i just blogged about my poop troubles!

{Le Petit Poulet} said...

I think that certain sister has wanted to ring your little neck many times when she thinks about how easy it has been for you and your boys!! (kidding!!!)
You make it sound so simple and magical and then you show the super cute pics of him in his big boy pants and it is like the cherry on top of the sundae. You really should consider hiring out....like Boot Camp Lady for Potty Training!!

Rachel said...

Awesome tips! These will come in very handy in about two years, and WOULD have come in very handy about four years ago. But we still managed somehow. If I would have known some of these it would have been a lot easier of a journey, that's for sure!